Topic Title: bulging arm veins
Created On: 05/13/2004 05:27 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

04/18/2005 08:23 PM

Author Icon
evie

I have had the same problem. The veins in my hands turning suddenly painful and freakishly bulging happened the first time several months ago. Since then, it has happened maybe four more times. The only thing I've noticed that tends to coincide is going from hot to cold. I'm a 30 yr. old female who takes spironolactone, ortho-tri-cyclen lo, and straterra. I wonder if anyone else takes these drugs, particularly ortho-tri-cyclen lo because I started it only a month before the problem began. I don't have health insurance and would really appreciate any responses. Thanks!
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 04/18/2005 11:32 PM

Author Icon
vnstoo

I am not on ortho-tri-cyclen lo, but I have read that excess oestrogen can cause bulging veins. That's something else I want to look into, because I have endometriosis and think my hormones might need balancing. I also think there might be something to the carb factor. I read on a low carb dicussion forum people complaining that as they were losing weight, their arm veins were becoming noticeable. I don't know if it's the way it causes you to lose weight or what, because they weren't at their goal weight, yet, but the veins were already showing. I don't think working a desk job has anything to do with this problem, because although I have a desk job now, when my situation first started I had a job where I was on my feet all day. I think there must be a solution out there somewhere. I hope we figure this out.
 04/20/2005 04:18 AM

Author Icon
luci123

I think I am getting better so please read on: I have had this illness for about a year now, and, thankfully I think I am getting slowly better. Like I mentioned before I have had every test done under the sun, and one of them was for Carcinoide Syndrome (when you have a growth in your intestinal wall). When this happens your pancreas secreats lots of hormones suddenly which then makes your blood vessels and viens dilate in the hands, arms and feet. I really thought I had this as the symptoms were so accurate. But the scan came up negative. But that got me thinking that maybe it was something to do with my gut/intestine. Maybe I had completely messed up my small intestinal tract with years of abuse and fad diets? I also took lots of Sacarrine and Aspartamine which can't of helped. Maybe all the good, friendly bacteria had been killed off with only bad bacteria and yeast baddies inside me, so every time I ate (which is when I get the attacks worse), my intestine didnt break down the food properly and toxins got into my bloodstream? Stress or heat could also agrevate me, by making my body hotter, and therefore creating a better environment for the bacteria to do their dirty work. So I started to take (high quality) supplements such as: a) intestinal flora (the good bacteria that lives in your intestinal tract) b) digestive enzymes c) L-glutamine d) amino acids e) Co-enzyme 10 I have also changed my diet to include a balanced variety of totally organic, washed fruit and vegetables, no food at all with any preservatives or additives or sweeteners (which apparently can cause auto-immune diseases such as MS or Lupus), and also bringing back the carb factor by eating starchy vegetables and bread in moderation. I am not totally better, but I must say that the "attacks" are fewer and last for less duration over the last few weeks. I admitedly have been taking life easy too which I think is a help (no excertion and lots of rest). I think it will take at least another month or so until I am totally better (I hope!) as the body needs time to adjust and I don't think there is any miracle cure, we just have to look after ourselves with a bit more respect. I hope this helps anyone out there - and I do hope I am right, but it is worth a try anyway... A good healthly balanced diet with suppliments can't do anyone any harm. Try it and see if you improve too.... then we might be on to a winner!
 04/21/2005 05:32 PM

Author Icon
foleylib

In response to the person who had treatments for blue veins all over body, my question was, what exactly were the treatments you had done. Were your veins bulging? Mine are not....just blue veins like a road map on legs, arms and chest, though mostly on the right side.
 04/21/2005 08:55 PM

Author Icon
Leawee

My veins are also like a roadmap all over my body. Numerous doctors I've seen have determined this to be caused from being a thin, small, woman as well as being "thin skinned". But I also have the same problems as I've discussed before on here regarding the bulging looking veins in my hands and forearms at times, which become painful. For that there hasn't been any answers......
 04/22/2005 09:32 AM

Author Icon
foleylib

My veins on hands are bulging as well, though they have never been painful....
 04/22/2005 09:54 AM

Author Icon
stephaniejohn71

This just happened to me for the first time about a week ago. My arm started to itch and I noticed my veins were bulging. I was very warm. Now I notice that that same arm (left) becomes weak and sore when I carry my 16 mo old. I am 5' tall woman but after 3 pregnancies, I am no longer thin. I wiegh about 135 right now. I have not been on any diets since my last pregnancy when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was on low carb for about 6 months and insulin shots. Since the delivery, I haven't restricted my diet at all. I do however still drink diet sodas which I started during the last pregnancy and diabetes. Maybe it is something in the diet drinks and foods. I am going to quit using artficial sweetener and see what happens. I have a doctor's apt in June. If I find anything out, I will post it. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. I live in the Midwest of the USA.
 04/22/2005 12:01 PM

Author Icon
lisalub63

It's funny how alot of us mention the low carbs and artificial sweeteners. I follow the south beach diet pretty closely but don't overuse sweeteners. I do drink maybe 1 diet soda a day or less. I wonder if there's any association. It hasn't happened as severe as my first time in the mall. If I put my arms up- the veins disappear. I don't get it-I have no other symptoms. Well, I do get a tingle in my toes when they're hot! Anybody else?
 05/07/2005 12:00 AM

Author Icon
mom23

I just turned 35. I have three children. I am a thin female and have never had a weight problem. I work out with weights three days a week and at one time I was weight training 5-6 days a week, heavy. I haven't done that in a couple of years. I have noticed, the past few months an increase in the veins in my hands. When I lift my hands up, they go away, if they hand low or like now when I'm typing, they really come out. It's uncomfortable and it even tingles a little. I feel it a bit on my feet as well. I notice it only gets bad at night, unless I'm too busy to notice during the day. I have also had a lot of rining in my ears lately that comes and goes. The doctor didn't find anything wrong, I go back in a few months for that. I think I'm going to go to my doctor regarding this vein situation. It's making me very nervous. I am a healthy person otherwise...I don't drink, smoke, drink coffee or use any sweetners except for sugar.
 05/10/2005 08:33 AM

Author Icon
lisalub63

I hope you find out what the source of this problem is! I still have the veins bulging and the tingling.I am going for further tests next week. It is scary not knowing what is happening.Please post what you have found out so that we can all learn what this may be! Good luck to us both!
 05/11/2005 09:10 PM

Author Icon
stephaniejohn71

I have noticed that I also have pain in my forearm when this happens. Right now it is inside my elbow. It almost feels like the veins are backed up with blood. Does anyone else have this same symptom?
 05/15/2005 08:28 PM

Author Icon
lisalub63

It does feel as though the blood is backing up, but that doesn't seem possible, does it? I am having the problem right now.The arms feel tight from the elbow to the wrist-anyone else? My hands were also tingling and sometimes my fingers turn red!
 03/29/2006 03:04 PM

Author Icon
firenze

I, too, have extremely prominent arm and hand veins. I am 33 years old and very tall and thin. I have had varicose veins treated on my legs, but the ones in my arms and hands just keep getting worse and worse...I am so self conscious about them and wear long sleeves all the time. My vascular surgeon said there's nothing I can do about them and they're normal but I've seen lots of websites for people who DO treat them. Has anyone had their arms or hands treated successfully? Please share info....thanks.
 05/18/2006 02:21 PM

Author Icon
anneliese

Did you get help? Did anybody get help? How? Where ? My arms and hands are awful!
 05/18/2006 02:26 PM

Author Icon
anneliese

I am 42 and have the ugliest arm and hand veins in the world. I also have small nipples and breasts and have wondered if there is a hormonal connection. However, I have two healthy children and had normal pregnancies and nursed each child for two years so I am not sure. Are there creams or surgeries or diet changes that can help? People are always asking me if I lift weights or commenting on how macho and manly my arms are. I hate them so much. I am also small (5'2) and about 105 poiunds but when I gain weight I am fat and veiny. If I have to be veiny I'd rather be thin and veiny but I really want to solve this awful situation.
 07/04/2006 01:02 PM

Author Icon
marisolita

I am a 38-year old woman, 5'3" tall and average weight. I have been experiencing the same symptoms of bulging, painful veins in my arms and feet for about 5 years. The condition is aggrevated by any physical activity and hot weather, humid weather is the killer. My veins bulg and preassure builds up in my arms so much that it feels as if my veins are going to burst. Like Anneliese, I believe there's a hormonal connection here. My sister is 42, petite and very slender, she also has the same problem. She is diabetic. I have insulin resistance and both of us have hypothyroid. I also see that this condition is worsen during menstrual period and is more painful. I have consulted with several doctors and even had an ultrasound of my veins to see if there's a circulation problem, but doctors have no conclusion, and worse they are clueless/ignorant about how to even approach this problem and simply disbelieve my symptoms or dismiss it by saying "lots of people have bulging veins," to which I disagree. The truth is that I feel like this situation has interferred with my ability to enjoy life; no beaches, no outside sports or physical exercion, difficulty shopping for clothes in the summer, and the list goes on. I don't want to be a negative person and focus on this so much, but its so hard to ignore it because it affects so much of my life. I feel like a monster even when people say that I'm a pretty girl. I wish there was a research doctor who would be interested in this topic to help those of us to suffer. Thank you all for sharing your stories.
 01/04/2013 08:47 AM

Author Icon
ThatAthleticDude

Hello everyone. I am a 19 years old guy and I actually love seeing a woman with bulging veins. I don't like those female bodybuilders' veins, because of all that muscle and stuff. It's perfect if the woman is skinny (not too skinny, fit-skinny) and has prominent veins. I've always dreamt of being allowed to show my love to a woman with bulging veins, but I am
scared that they will think I'm crazy. You might even think I'm crazy. If so, you're definitely not the only one
I just want to open my heart and maybe comfort the women with bulging/visible veins by writing this. Be proud of your veins! You can look very sexy and it shows that you are healthy and maybe even fit! I hope a lot of women will see this. Know that veins are not a bad thing. If a man is disgusted by the look of your veins, he is one big pussy. Haha. A lot of guys also like to see a woman with bulging veins. Remember that! Just wanted to say that.

Many hugs

Joshua AKA ThatAthleticDude ;-)

01/04/2013 09:00 AM

Author Icon
ThatAthleticDude

Hello. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm a 19 year old guy and I have no problem with veiny women. I actually find those sexier than women with all-smooth skin. Think about that. Nothing to hide, nothing to be ashamed of. Don't cry and be sad. You're absolutely perfect as you are. Have a nice day ;-)

Comforting hugs

ThatAthleticDude

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

DVT
Summer Travel DVT
Sitting motionless for long periods may put some summer travelers at an ...
more more Featured Videos
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Sep 21, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.