Topic Title: vnus closure
Created On: 12/02/2003 11:59 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/30/2007 06:37 PM

Author Icon
erika

I had Vnus Closure and the one where they pull out individual veins (I think that is called Phlebectomy). It has been almost 2 weeks now and it has been fine. The bruising is almost gone...I got some water blisters from the bandages but they are starting to go away and the incisions can still be seen but are small. I had a bulging vein right below the back of my knee that they removed in addition to the VNUS CLOSURE. That spot was REALLY bruised afterwards but I have been putting a herbal ointment on the bruise and it is almost gone. I had no complications....no tingling, numbness or extreme pain. It kind of sucks because you have to wear the compression stockings for 8 weeks afterwards but I guess once that is done, everything will be good. I could only get one leg done at a time because otherwise I wouldn't of been able to be an out-patient. Good luck! I think being young in combination with having an experienced doctor and having a less severe case is key to having less complications during the surgery and afterwards. Let me know how your surgery goes. I am getting my next one in October for the other leg.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/28/2007 08:54 PM

Author Icon
randotter

Erika what procedures did you have? Elvt and Phlebectomy? Did you have work done on both legs? I really appreciate your help. I am young as well, and considering the procedure, but am nervous about it. I will wait to hear from you. Best. Trina.
 08/28/2007 07:38 PM

Author Icon
erika

Ok so the bruising is almost gone after a week. I still have blisters though. The doctor's office said it is from the ACE bandages but I don't know. I hope they go away soon! Otherwise I haven't had any problems. Sometimes when I walk alot it gets sore but it has only been about a week so I am sure that will go away.
 08/22/2007 04:53 PM

Author Icon
erika

Ok so I had the surgery on Monday and it didn't really hurt at all. I was given percoset and valium and I was so out of it. I was up and about the next day. I went to work with no problem. I am not experiencing too much pain. I did take the bandages off for the first time last night and was kind of freaked out about the way it looked but I guess it will only get better. I have some blistering and they put in stiches where they made the incisions. I have a dark bruise where they removed one of the varicosities. I feel fine and I am seeing the doctor tomorrow for my follow-up. I will have to wear the compression hose for 8 weeks....That seems so long but the doctor said that there is a big difference in results when someone wears them everyday for the 8 weeks. I think the surgery is fine. I read alot of problems that people have had on this board and I think maybe it just has to do with your body, age, and severity of your case. I am still really young and the problem has not grown out of proportion yet so maybe that is why it has been going well so far for me, I donno. Good luck though! If I can I will post pictures from beginning to end so that people can see what it looks like.
 08/20/2007 02:39 PM

Author Icon
roz5

Now I am worried about the Vnus procedure also. I am to schedule my procedure in October and am wondering now if I am going to be ok with it. What type of anesthesia is used? I certainly do not want to feel nor be aware of any part of the procedure! As for recovery time, I was told that I could have it done on a Friday and be back to work on Monday. I am a teacher and am on my feet all day. I sure hope the recovery isn't as bad as it sounds! And the compression stockings....How long do those have to be worn? Thanks for anyone who can answer these questions. Erika, let us know how you made out. Debbie, did you have yours done yet?
 08/17/2007 06:40 PM

Author Icon
erika

How did your surgery go? I am getting VNUS clsure in 3 days. I actually haven't talked to the doctor very much about it. I am 20 years old and I have one bulging veina and a few others that I can see through my skin but are not bulging. I had no idea that all these risks were invovled. I am getting pretty nervous now. If there is anyone else around my age that has had this procedure can you please tell me how it went? I don't know if maybe being younger will cause less complications???
 07/19/2007 09:32 PM

Author Icon
debbieo

Oh I am really nervous reading this board on this procedure. I am scheduled to have this done in two weeks. At first they seemed to be older postings and I thought maybe they had perfected this procedure but now reading the latest posted on 7/7 by better_eagle I see that is not the case.I am getting this done because of the mass of spider veins on both legs from the thigh to the ankle. Yes they are ugly but I am getting this done because they are starting to bleed a lot now. For years occasionally I would get a bleeder but now its almost weekly. Sometimes I am not even aware they are bleeding and at times more than one starts up.The doctor told me If I get the diseased vein closed it should stop the other veins from bleeding - sounded great to me until I found this forum and now I am scared to death.I work a day job sitting but also work a second job waitressing and I need both jobs to survive so I can't be sitting around waiting for things to heal. I was told I could go back to desk job next day and two days later waitressing.I would really appreciate any input anyone could give me.Thanks in advance,Debbie
 07/07/2007 10:19 PM

Author Icon
better_eagle

I had a similar experience to some of those listed on this thread. My surgery was botched with the catater getting stuck and I'm sure the vien was torn in the process. The MD was satisfied the procedure was a success after the follow up ultrasound showed the vein was close. I started to have pain running from my upper thigh to the inside of my knee. In addition, I started having more viricous veins behind my knee in the upper leg just above where the closure surgery stopped. I am now in constant pain especially when I travel in a plane, go on a long trip in a car, or sit in a long business meeting. The quality of my life has suffered. I too would be interested if there was a MD who had a way to fix this problem.
 05/26/2006 10:35 AM

Author Icon
iwantmylegbackinok

I wish that I had never walked through my Dr's door on Febuary 10th 2005 and ever let them touch my leg! I am 33 years old and have fought with vericose veins and swelling and aching for about the last 8 years approx. This aching was managable and was not consistantly there. My doctor told me one day one incsion and no pain. Huh, I had dark purple bruising from my calf to my groin, swelling that lasted for days, and as my vein started to harden (that's what I'm told it was doing) I literally felt like I had a stick inserted on the inside of my leg that was ripping from the inside out with every step. I had limited range of motion on my leg and limped for about six weeks. I went back to see my Dr and he proceeded to tell me I had small legs and sometimes on some people it takes around 6-8 weeks to strart feeling normal again....WHAT??? I'm thinking "That's not what anyone ever mentioned but I gave it a shot. I had a feeling deep down that my surgery was botched but the doctor denied it I just wanted my leg back and I wanted to believe in him, after all if he messed up my leg, how can you fix that? You can't just go out and buy a new leg. Well, it has been 15 weeks now and I have more pain in my leg now than I ever. I have a hard brown spot on the inside of my left leg that is about 3-4" long and the stick is still there, it doesn't hurt with every step, but it is still very tender and constantly aching and I can't sleep on my side very easily anymore because the pressure of my other leg touching it still wakes me with stabbing pains. I have throbbing from my ankle all the way up the inside of my leg to my groin and consistant aching and burning feeling in my left buttocks and down the back of my leg to the inside of my knee. If I cross my legs or sit for even a short time my leg starts to fall asleep. I want to cry and I have on several occasions. I try not to think about it because thinking about it only makes it worse and I keep praying that maybe someday I'll wake up and my leg will finally start healing. But, instead, I wake up to only be reminded by the pain. Not only that my original lower leg which had the majority of my complaints with aches and pains never went away and is now bigger and I also now have superficial phlebitis spots showing up all the time and I never had this before and my Dr. never even said anything about. I am saddened to see that you are all going through the same things. I am sad that our doctors sold us on a procedure promising hope and normalcy again. His assistant tells me that they haven't heard of anyone ever having any complications or complaints and by reading this board. I would say sadly she was wrong. I actually called my doctors office the other day and asked if there were any way to reverse it. She said no. I am going to keep researching the internet and asking questions and find a physician that can help me get my life back and I wish you all luck. I hope yours does better than mine.
 02/01/2005 02:43 PM

Author Icon
Annoymous

Superficial phlebitis is a small clot near surface of skin...causes heat to omit from spot of clot, requires elevation and moist heat, and ibuprofen to heal. You know it if you got it. Well, had the vein strip and micro phlebectomy on leg the vnus failed on....been 11 days since surgery and I think its going okay. Still sore at knee and ankle, but bruising on thigh is fading. I suspect another week and I'll be 100%--not stopping me from working. Nice to know I'll not have to worry about vein ever re-opening as can occur with vnus. Good luck everyone...what a pain in the neck (or leg) all this stuff is. What a drag it is getting old...
 01/19/2005 12:24 PM

Author Icon
[email protected]

A recent Doppler confirmed reflux in the greater saphenous veins of both legs. Thus I am a candidate for a Venous Closure proceedure. I have an appointment with a vascular surgeon next week to discuss the issue. I would appreciate any suggestions as to questions I should ask. I dont really have a cosmetic issue, just discomfort and swelling, and some minor enlargement of lower leg veins. Currently I am able to manage the symptoms with the use of compression hose.
 01/18/2005 03:45 PM

Author Icon
katie1

I'm curious what exactly your superficial phlebitis was like? I had the VNUS procedure done in the spring of 04 and now have what appears to be a very dark colored permanent bruise about the size of an eraser head and another one a little smaller next to it. For a couple months after the surgery they were both very swollen and looked like huge blood blisters and as though they would pop if poked. They are flat now. The varicose veins are all flat now but in my opinion all I did was trade one problem for another. They are still tender and cosmetically they look just as bad now with all the permanent bruises as they did before with the varicosities. My doctor said he had never done a microphlebectomy along with the VNUS Closure procedure at the same time. Seems like doing the microphlebectomy at the same time would have solved my problem. Good luck to you. Kay
 01/18/2005 12:49 PM

Author Icon
Annoymous

No Phlebectomy done with vnus...perhaps the problem, I don't know. Anywho, out they come on 1/20 stripped to the knee, and microphlebectomy on the calf. Previously had the tri-vex (sp?) on my other leg where they strip groin to ankle, so I'm figuring this will be a little less painful and not so long to recover from.
 12/13/2004 10:20 AM

Author Icon
jlcreas

RNS67@hotmail- Did you also have a VV phlebectomy when you had the VNUS procedure done? My Vascular Surgeon said the best results are when these two are done together. I'm glad my surgeon knew this, because apparently VNUS is being done quite a bit without the phlebectomy part, and patients are very disappointed. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I had a very good results. Good luck on your vein stripping, hope this does the trick for you! Janice
 12/10/2004 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Annoymous

Vnus failed for me. 40 y/o male, had vein stripping on right leg that worked perfect...recovery was 2 weeks, but results were great. Same surgeon did Vnus on me that I went for in light of quick recovery...knowing it might not work, but the odds were in my favor it would. Well, it didn't. 2 months now since Vnus on my left leg and zero results. In fact, worse and I just got superficial phlebitis. Looking back, I should have just had them stripped. Now, I'm going to have to have stripping done anyway. Very dissappointed in Vnus---beware, it may not work!
 11/13/2004 08:53 AM

Author Icon
jlcreas

I am now approx. 4 1/2 months status post VNUS closure/phlebectomy on my Right leg. I have absolutely no pain, swelling, etc. on this leg. The numbness on my upper/inner thigh and around my knee is completely resolved also. The knot I had had around my calf has also completely resolved. I still do have quite a few spider veins and small areas that look like bruising, but that main "bulging vein" look is gone and my leg, I think, looks about 90% better than before I had the surgery. Because I am blond & fair skinned, I think these small veins are easier to notice on me anyway. My husband says my leg looks so much better. I ended up paying out of pocket about $750 with my insurance deductible/coinsurance. I would definately have these procedures done again if this ever happened to my Left leg. It was worth it to me to feel better & have my leg look so much better.
 10/11/2004 06:51 AM

Author Icon
g15119

You should know that what you were told is the common recovery period for patients. Average is a reflection of a 'bell curve' emaning that there are outliers whose recovery is longer and this is dependent on each person's pain tolerance and location of the vein. Also, the VNUS treats the cause of the lower leg veins but not the veins themselves. Most patients need a secondary procedure after VNUS to eliminate the veins entirely Your treatment plan seems to be the normal one and you should understand the alternative to VNUS (vein stripping) would leave you with even more pain and a longer recovery.
 10/09/2004 03:13 PM

Author Icon
jburnett

I just had my left leg done (VNUS) monday, 10/04 and I am in terrible pain. I had my Right leg done in April and went through the same thing. I can't stand or walk for very long--luckily I am not working or I'd be in a terrible position. I was told I would be back to normal within 2 or 3 days, and found with both times that to be completely wrong. I still have tenderness and numbness in my right thigh from the procedure in April, and the vein is still visible (Apparently I will need sclero to get rid of it completely.) I would like to hear from anyone who recovered quickly from this, and whether forcing myself to walk around in pain is better than laying in bed with warm compresses on it. I'm going crazy! Thanks. ps--I'm 39 and have had these veins since my teens.
 10/03/2004 12:51 PM

Author Icon
slippers713

I'm glad to hear someone else is having the same issues I have after having the VNUS procedure. It has been six months since I had my left leg done and 9 months for my right leg. My left left was much worse than my right. I also had sclero in March, that is when I noticed hard lumps and bruising on those areas. The lumps have disappeared but the bruising is still there. My doctor told me to come back in about 6 mos. for a recheck and to see if there is anything else they need to do (trivex or more sclero). I have not made an appointment for that yet but plan to this month since in my opinion my legs should also look better than they do. I have noticed a lot of veins on my left leg that were not visible previously and they to are not varicosed but I'm thinking over time they probably will. This leg still has some visible small varicosities so that is why I am going back to my doctor. The right leg seems to be fine with maybe a few more visible veins than before but they are not varicosed. Are you still having aching pain when you stand on your legs for long periods of time? I think I have more pain than before. Please let me know if you do any more work on your legs.
 08/20/2004 06:35 PM

Author Icon
samandted

So far, so good on my VNUS procedure which was on 8/18. I have very little (almost no) bruising on my thigh and the calf looks great too - very little bruising. I had my follow-up ultrasound and the vein is closed. I will see how things develop over the next few days. Right now I am keeping the calf wrapped with ACE bandage and keeping it elevated as much as possible.

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Interview with Dr. Saines: TriVex
more more Featured Videos
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Apr 23, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.