Topic Title: Bursting Blood Vessels in Hands
Created On: 10/07/2003 11:59 AM

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

02/17/2014 02:46 PM

Author Icon
ParallaxView

Hi, I'm 42. I found this thread because I was searching on veins rupturing in my fingers. It hurts really bad as everyone else has described.

One thing that's kind of weird, is I do have Raynaud's disease. I'm 5'3" and weigh 130lb now, so it's pretty mind. It used to be quite a nusense when I was younger and weighed 120lb, but putting on weight appears to have helped.

I also have eczema.

The first time I ruptured a vein in my finger was about two years ago and I was eating edamame, squeezing it out of the pods. The burst vein was so bad I couldn't bend my finer, and my entire finger turned green and was bruised for a month. My finger was numb, and I also experienced pain, when using my finger. It took about a year for my finger to fully recover.

The second time was three days ago and I was walking a dog who pulled on his leash. My finger is still green. It looks like Achenbach's clears up within a day or two https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22915534

As Virya posted on 02/13/2010 08:17 PM, I do have collagen issues. I was diagnosed with Hyper Mobility Syndrome a couple of years ago. I have always really been flexible, and was disappointed to find out it's a genetic disorder. I have been in physical therapy for a year to tighten up my ligaments because I hurt my back by apparently shifting my hip out of place. This causes sciatic back pain.

I do have an auto immune disorder, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so my own immune system is attacking my thyroid gland. Maybe my body is attacking my collagen as Virya mentioned.

I do believe there's something I may have done to weaken my collagen even further. When I injured my finger the first time, I was taking bromelain because it's supposed to be a great anti inflammatory and help with pain like back pain. The problem is, it breaks down collagen http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/pineapple-enzyme-tenderize-steak1.htm Thank Virya for pointing our collagen is probably at the root of the issue.

For this past week before I injured my finger again, I was making protein shakes that contain pineapple, so I believe that is probably the culprit for me. I was also replacing tart cherries (which bost collagen) with the pineapple because Costco hasn't restocked the cherries.

I will try Virya's suggestion and eat more bioflavonoids. I already take a gram or two of vitamin C a day as suggested by Linus Pauling.

I read recently peony root extract helps with autoimmune disorders. I'm going to try taking it to see if it will help with collagen issues.

REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 05/02/2012 05:36 PM

Author Icon
RobinSantos

I have had the same problem for years with veins bursting in hands and later in feet. I went to several doctors at top medical centers and spent countless $s, with no luck. I then started carefully analyzing what I ate, writing it down, not knowing if there was any allergic connection. I found a connection to grapes and grape juice. Not that that is everyone's solution, but that is not as easy to isolate as it sounds, because after cutting out all grapes, I found if I ate certain granola bars or cereals or took certain food supplements they would break. After carefully examining labels, I found manufacturers often sweeten even dry food products such as granola with grape juice. They don't necessarily list this on the label, it can be refered to as 'natural flavoring'. I began to stay away from all juices unless I made them myself, as they could be processed in machinery that processed grapes. It also doesn't help that a lot of fast food and other restaurants can also use grape juice or grape juice containing products in their food. So it's a perilous game to try to eliminate this from one's diet. But that helped explain why it only happened sporadically, because I only consumed grapes or grape juice very sporadically. The vein breaks would also cause small clots or purple 'bumps' in the palms of my hands. One vein doctor even showed me a similar small clot on the back of his thumb and told me it was possibly some nutritional deficiency, but the medical profession simply doesn't know. Drinking straight Acai juice also caused these, again I don't know if it was because Acai may be processed in grape juice processing machinery, or if it has similar allergens.
 02/29/2012 03:29 PM

Author Icon
colorado

Hi TBC,
I have continued not taking any magnesium at all. The last time I tested this was some time ago, and then I still found a relationship between taking magnesium and getting more of the blood vessel popping. I haven't wanted to put my body through another test of it.
Now after a few years of not taking ANY magnesium, and also I took bioflavanoids for a while, (which did seem to help also), I have had a lot less popping blood vessels. None at all for about a year. Then recently one in my foot.
From what you've said I doubt that you have Renaud's disease. A lot of things are not well understood, and it is easy to jump to a diagnosis, just to call it something.
I have gone the direction of reducing almost all vitamins and minerals in supplement form. I don't take calcium either, even though the doctors recommend it for women my age. I have been doing better with no magnesium and no calcium. I DO eat EXTREMELY WELL. I eat lots of green veggies, and a range of colorful veggies, every day. I eat legumes on occasion. This diet produces ample calcium (women in india who eat lots of legumes have very low rates of osteoporosis compared to US women), plus the other minerals needed, and when minerals are obtained from food, they are in a natural balance that our bodies have adapted to over the millenia. Taking supplements I believe runs more risk of getting some minerals out of balance and throwing the system off. When I do take supplements I take food-based supplements, so they are more likely to have a balance of nutrients including things not yet discovered or identified that are in foods.
The only vitamin I now take on a regular basis is vitamin D during the winter, because I tested low for that. That vitamin is produced by the body when exposed to sunlight, and in northern climates, many people don't make enough.
 02/29/2012 03:16 PM

Author Icon
colorado

Hi Di17,
Yes, I have noticed a connection between being very active and the blood vessels bursting. For example, occasionally if I am chopping lots of vegetables, this seems to precipate it due to the stress on my hand.
I can report that I have tried taking bioflavanoids in addition to having stopped taking all magnesium, and this seems to have made an improvement in my condition. I went perhaps a year without any more popping vessels. Then recently I had one in a foot. But only that one. Not a lot.
I tune in to the feeling of tingling that I can recognize tends to happen just prior to a pop, and stop the activity that might irritate the vessels. This helps also. However, I think getting exercise is really important, so I make sure I get regular exercise. There is clear evidence now that exercise helps the body repair tissue (autophage activity), in addition to other evidence of its value to health. So it might be valuable for you to cut back on things like standing in one place on a laddar, which is extra stressful to your feet. But I would encourage you to keep up moderate daily exercise.
 02/29/2012 08:53 AM

Author Icon
Di17

Re: colorado and tbc posts...I have had these painful veins (twice now) on the bottom of my foot that start to tingle, feel itchy and then the most painful ache...then they have burst over night and create a magnificent bruise. I am femaile, 52, thin, on low dosage thyroid medication, have low blood pressure and low in iron. I get severe sinus headaches (sometimes migraines). I'm wondering if you were very active on your feet the day you had this problem? I was painting trim in my dining room and was up and down on a ladder for about and hour in my sock feet and I'm guessing this may have activated the painful vein that burst. I am too worried about these bursting veins and whether or not there are connections to aneurysms...I had a cousin who was 10 who died of one, as well as an aunt in her late 40's who died of an aneurysm. I wish there was more information available.
 01/17/2012 02:34 PM

Author Icon
TBC

"Colorado" - I wanted to know if you are still finding the link between Magnesium and more bursting blood vessels. Because of your post, I am reducing my magnesium intake to see if it decreases my bursting blood vessels. I am mid-fifties. This started at least 20 years ago, but was infrequent. Now it happens about once a week. I have been taking lots of magnesium, so Colorado's post really jumped out at me. The bursting blood vessels happens in my feet, especially at my toe joints. It is much rarer for it to happen in my hands. It hurts really badly for about a minute, then I get a big bruise. I've called it "my exploding toes". I have been told that I might have Raynauds. Doctors always say they have no idea why this is happening. One doctor called it "fragile capillaries".
 05/07/2011 11:54 PM

Author Icon
dbwiseman

Pretty sure this is what it is about...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2373612Paroxysmal finger hematoma (Achenbach syndrome)
 05/07/2011 09:06 PM

Author Icon
hrobert745

I'm so glad to have found this forum. I have exactly the same problem, and a large vein in my right wrist just burst today. I also have had bleeding in the eyes, although it seems to have stopped since I started taking blood pressure medicine. I'm female, 55, heavy, not active, and have asthma and allergies. My allergies have been flaring up lately, so my diet has been rather restricted. Perhaps this is the connection, as some people have mentioned. I have had this probem for at least ten years, in the hands, feet, and eyes. Once I had a vein burst in my knee, but that's the closest to the trunk it has happened. I have no clue as to why my veins pop, but it's painful and scary. Today it happened as I was putting away laundry, so it's not as if I'm lifting weights or anything. If I see a doctor, I usually get a test for blood clotting factors, which comes back normal. Some of the ideas I have had with respect to causes have been diet (but I thought it was eating garlic and onions), high blood pressure, or fragile veins (my daughter has Marfans, so maybe I have some slight undetected defect of connective tissue).
 08/10/2010 01:03 PM

Author Icon
colorado

I have had this problem of veins popping for no aparent reason also, for several years. I have found that magnesium makes this happen much more often. If I take a supplement with magnesium in it (for example a calcium and magnesium pill), my veins will start popping a lot. If I stop the supplement with magnesium, the vein popping almost stops. Even without taking extra magnesium I still have some significant popping trouble, but if I take magnesiums it gets to an extreme level.
I am 56 years old, female, don't smoke, have a good diet of mostly natural and whole foods. However, I have had some digestive trouble (not IBS, but some absorption trouble, and food sensitivities so that I need to rotate many foods). I have hay fever, but don't take any medications for that or for anything else. I have really low blood pressure, and a fairly low pulse rate. (resting at 60/min).
I wanted to share the magnesium connection I've noticed because my Mother (84) has the same thing. When she cut back on magnesium her hands no longer had popping blood vessels also.
I'd love to hear more ideas on solutions. I'll try the vitamin C & bioflavanoid connection.
 07/30/2010 11:03 PM

Author Icon
curious99

I am yet another person with bursting blood vessels. It has happened to me 6 or 7 times so far in the last few years. Usually on the bottom of my feet, once on the top of my foot, and once on my shin. I have experienced the same as others have described with the itching and then burning and then bruising. I have several things in common with other posters...I am female, 51, thin,have low blood pressure and IBS.I am somewhat sedantary but excercise a couple of times a week. My family doctor kind of shrugged and said don't worry, but there must be a reason for such reoccurrances. Sometimes, I have been doing a lot of walking so I can imagine that would stress the vessels, but the fact that it has happened repeatedly suggests something making my vessels more vulneralbe because this doen't happen to everyone. I know I have dubious collagen because my stretch marks from childbirth are incredible. I've been seeing a chiropractor lately and he suggested some defeciency which goes along with what others have suggested. I have taken a multivitamin/mineral supplelment for years but recently ran out and haven't taken them for around 3 weeks. I also started claritin for allergies a few days ago just before the latest vessel episode. I can't remember in previous episodes ifI was missing supplements, having an IBS flareup or on antihistimines.However, I'm thinking I will get my supplements going again ASAP. I am so relieved to find other people with similar syptoms, but really disappointed that the medical community seems so clueless. If other people with symptoms have found success with supplements or any other treatment I encourage them to post again so we can know what's working.
 07/14/2010 06:06 AM

Author Icon
Valeriejj53

aj, just had to post, your low blood pressure is just one of many issues I have along with the "exploding veins". I am hoping others come back to this as it has just started for me, at least as far as I can visually see....I had one grow large and break leaving me with a bruise for at least a week, this in my right wrist. Aother week later and I have a new "enlarged" vein in the same wrist. My doctor was unconcerned, but I am. My father died from aneurysm in his early 30's. I have many of the other issues, but do not regularly treat alergies. Recently was put on blood pressure meds to keep heart rate down after suffering from a-fib. The vessels hurt before they break, but really hurt when it does, I hope to find an answer here if no where else, feeling a little frightened and lost.
 05/27/2010 01:55 PM

Author Icon
GinB

Wow, I did not know so many others had this issue, too. I didn't have too much of a concern about it, it was only happening in my fingers and maybe hands (with pain mostly PRIOR to what I have always said was my blood vessel/vein bursting) until it happened on the top of my foot and left a HUGE, non-painful bruise. What in the world is this? Well, I'm going to try 2 suggestions I found online (nothing medical really!).....bioflavonoids and Calcium Fluoride. Maybe after a couple of months I'll no longer have these?

Next time I see my doc, I'll ask him what he thinks. My worry is what if this happens in the brain? I read where this happens in the eyes (thank goodness I've not had that), and one where it was the reason (per her ENT) for her PERMANENT hearing loss. Certainly sounds like this is an issue that needs answers!

I do agree, as I've read, that possibly it is more of a deficiency than anything else. I would rather take safe homeopathic then drugs, especially if doctors are just guessing at why these is occuring (or even worrying about it!).

Good luck to all of you!

03/01/2010 12:08 AM

Author Icon
jedwards

Howdy, this discussion has been going for a while but I was so relieved to find it. Many years ago I started getting these bursting vessels in my fingers only and then about a month ago I got a really large one on my wrist and last week the whole palm of my hand was black due to another one which was the worst one yet. I have been to many GP's with no answers oh except the last one wanted to try me on antidepressants - how that is related to bruising beats me but when they dont have an answer then its straight to the antidepressants. My vitamin b12 is very low and so is my vitamin d, I get lots of sinus infections and use nasonex regularly and it is only since restarting this that they have returned, so I found it very interesting that others had commented on that. I also have multinodular goitre which is currently being investigated. Other than that I am average build, eat fairly healthy and I do smoke. Would really love to know what it is as I looked up that Achenbach syndrome but that states blood blisters and this is not blood blisters this swells inside and then pops forming bruises.

02/13/2010 08:17 PM

Author Icon
virya

I have had incidences of veins spontaneously bursting in my hands and face for years. This in conjunction with very easy bruising. In the past month, after a course of prednisone for severe migraine, it has become worse. I have always been worried about this, but never had any source for information, and was so glad to finally see this forum. I am a neuroscientist and used the information I gained from this forum to search the medical literature. Like others, I noticed some major common themes: *a history of auto-immune disorders or inflammatory conditions (IBS, SLE, asthma). *possible use of corticosteroids like prednisone or dexamethasone (common treatment for all of the above conditions, although not everyone used them) *possible dietary insufficiency (common with IBS sufferers who can't absorb enough vitamins) I researched the factors governing vein strength. The summary is that the protein collagen gives structure to veins. If collagen is disrupted, the veins will become weak. Collagen is also used in structure of skin, joint ligaments, hair and nails. There are SEVERAL things that can decrease collagen: 1) some people genetically have poor collagen production. If they have very low collagen it is referred to as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and is severe. But, like most genetic mutations, it is a spectrum, and there could be many of us walking around with lower collagen production than most folks, but no obvious problems. The symptoms would be hyper-extendable joints (me), bruising (me), burst veins (me), and smoother than average skin for your age (me). 2) Use of corticosteroids like prednisone or dexamethasone actually impairs collagen production! So folks who use corticosteroids can often have increased bruising. If you use corticosteroids and ALSO have somewhat low collagen to begin with, we would expect you to have more trouble (it appears this is what happened to me). 3) Dietary insufficiency of Vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Both of these vitamins are crucial to collagen production (backed up by hard science data). Citrus is a good natural source of these, but you have to eat the pulp to get the bioflavonoids, not just juice. For those who have poor nutrition either because of food choice or because of IBS, they may not be getting enough of these in a normal diet and may need to seek supplements. But beware IBS sufferers- too much vitamin C can be very GI irritating! 4) Systemic Lupus Erythmetosis. This is an autoimmune disorder that several posters suffer from. While this disorder does not decrease collagen production, the antibodies produced during the disease can actually bind to and destroy collagen. (this is why the joints are so affected in SLE) SLE sufferers may see more bruising/vein bursting during flare-ups, or after taking steroids (discussed above). The take home message of all this is that some of us have less collagen than others, and disease, pharmaceuticals, and nutrition can all impact this. Some things we can't help: our genetics is unalterable, and those who need steroids probably really need them and aren't going to be able to stop. However, increased bioflavonoids and healthy vitamin C intake may help. Hope this helped at least somewhat. A major source is listed below.

Am J Physiol 206: 179-182, 1964; Effect of bioflavonoids and methylprednisolone on collagen biosynthesis

01/22/2010 10:54 PM

Author Icon
blaster7

Hi, My name is Jim and I suffer from broken vessels in my hands after lifting or grabing something from time to time. It usually occures after a long days work when I very tired. I have GERD and am a smoker, age 54, have never used inhalers. Along with the rest of you I wish I knew what causes this because it can be quite painful.

01/10/2010 04:48 PM

Author Icon
ventura

I don't know if anybody is still trying to find out the cause of blood vessels bursting in the hands or feet. I've had this on and off for a few years (I'm 55). I have always had poor circulation in my hands and feet and I have Reynauds. I was told I had irritable bowel syndrome for many years and suffered terribly with bloating and cramps that doubled me over. Finally it was discovered that I had oral allergy syndrome, now called pollen oral allergy. I have to cook my fruits and vegetables before I eat them or I get itching in the mouth, throat, runny eyes and nose then intense stomach cramps for several days. I just mentioned this in case somebody with irritable bowel syndrome may want to look in to this. I've been cooking my vegetables and fruit for 20 years and have had no further problems with my bowel. I was wondering about the Reynauds and allergy connection as I do use antihistamines during pollen season or when I'm exposed to smoke or dust. Did anybody find out if there was a connection to the blood vessels bursting. I still get blood vessels bursting now and again. It seems to be in particular when I've been doing a lot of writing with a pen or chopping with a knife. Also, I seem more prone to it when cold weather or very hot weather makes the air dry out. I also get bleeding in the nose a bit during these times and had problems with nose bleeds when I took flying lessons and changed altitude a lot. I think my veins probably are fairly close to the surface. Due to my obvious nutritional problems from being unable to eat raw fruit or vegetables, I have been using a supplement called monavie which does seem to help with comfort of my joints. This can be ordered from monavie.com (my distributor number is 2555493 is anybody wants to see if it helps). I haven't noticed any difference with the vein problem. I'm usually fairly active, but feel like I get more than the usual circulatory problems when sitting for prolonged periods such as long flights or driving. Could there be a connection there with the vein bursting and should I be worried?

05/07/2008 10:20 PM

Author Icon
rkveins

Julia9526 - Interesting your comment on having sharp pains in your head at random times. Do they always occur in the same place? I have this occasionally - always in the same exact place. The pain is VERY severe, but because it lasts such a very short time (1-2 seconds at most), it isn't a big problem. I have had both an MRI and a CAT scan and both show nothing. The pain may recur several times over a few weeks, and then may disappear for months.dbwiseman - You may be right about Achenbach's Syndrome - I hadn't heard about that before. Sounds like what many of us on this forum may have. Good to hear that it is usually harmless other than the occasional discomfort.I noticed someone said something about beer - doesn't seem plausible but I'm going to check that out. I don't drink beer often, but do occasionally - I'll try to see if there is any co-relation between when I have some beer and blood vessels bursting.
 05/07/2008 08:18 PM

Author Icon
julia9526

Hi, I'm not sure if this topic is still going on since I see the date is some time ago. But I too getting veins bursting in my hands with the stinging and burning then bruising. I have also had some sharp pains in my head that also just happen at any random time, they only last for few seconds, but the other day I got a pretty bad one and this time it really scared me, I went to the doctor yesterday and told her about all of this, and she did blood work (not sure what that will tell) so my husband found this site and thought maybe someone would have more insight on this. If anyone knows more about this, please post some info on it.Thanks
 04/22/2008 08:08 PM

Author Icon
aj210

Just curious if anybody else's blood pressure has dropped? My normal blood pressure is usually around 114/72 and my pulse rate averages between 75-78. I had mine tested the other day, and my blood pressure was 94/63 with a pulse rate of 95! I was relaxed, it wasn't after physical exertion. The lower than normal blood pressure reading didn't throw me off as it wasn't a threateningly low reading, it was the combination with such a high pulse rate along with these vessels bursting.
 04/22/2008 06:30 PM

Author Icon
Josephus79

I have low heart rate and nose bleeds too rkveins.I was wondering if anyone else takes decongestants or other medications,or sleep aids with diphenhydramine witch constrict blood vessels?

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
RSS

Interview with Dr. Saines: Laser Treatments
more more Featured Videos
Home | About Us | Press | Make a Suggestion | Content Syndication | Terms of Service | Editorial Policy | Privacy Policy
Last updated: Oct 31, 2014  ©1999- 2014 Body1 All rights reserved.